Facts About Oral Health and Older Adults...
• Oral health is an essential component to overall health.
• The U.S. population on aging Americans continues to grow.
The proportion of the U.S. population 65+ in 2000:
12%.... In 2030 20%.
• More aging adults are keeping their natural teeth.
Decrease in edentulism: 1986-41% had no natural
teeth… 2004-21% had no natural teeth.
• Older adults have chronic health concerns, such as
cardiovascular problems, diabetes, pneumonia that can
adversely affect their oral health status. The aging with
periodontal disease face a 25% higher risk of death
from aspiration pneumonia.
• Older adults take numerous medications adversely
affecting their oral health. Many medications cause
xerostomia (dry mouth) which leads to increased root
• Access to oral health care is limited for aging adults.Only
38% of nursing home residents receive an exam by a